Kratom is a tropical tree in the same family as the coffee tree; its botanical name is Mitraguna speriosa. This drug is a newcomer to the U.S. but has been used for centuries in its native Southeast Asia. It is also related to Psychotria Viridis, the Amazonian shrub used as a source of dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in ayahuasca preparations. It has a stimulant effect in low doses and a sedative effect in higher doses. In its native region, people check the fresh leaves.
Is Kratom Safe?
In the US, individuals who take Kratom typically buy it in crushed or powder form and take it orally. Because of its unpleasant taste, the powdered form is either taken in capsules or mixed with a liquid that can mask the flavor. It can also be brewed into a tea or purchased in individual “shots” like the stimulant drink Five Hour Energy. Some kava bars and tobacco shops carry it in multiple forms.
There is anecdotal evidence that Kratom can relieve symptoms of restless leg syndrome, arthritis, and fibromyalgia. Additionally, by people who are trying to reduce cravings for opiates or who seek to reduce the intensity of opiate withdrawal symptoms also use Kratom. While it is available over the counter from some online and brick and mortar sources, it is not necessarily a benign substance.
This substance can also vary in strength from batch to batch; it can be difficult to gauge the potency, allowing people to get a more massive dose than anticipated. The continuous use of Kratom can cause dependence that often leads to abuse and addiction. Kratom addiction is possible because of the way that it binds to the brain’s opioid receptors.
Kratom Side Effects
It causes a feeling of euphoria. In small doses, people report that it causes an increase in concentration. In larger doses, it causes relaxation.
Some individuals will experience acute side effects that can mimic those felt with opioid drugs, which include:
- Dry mouth
- Increased urination
- Suppressed appetite
- Withdrawal Symptoms
Since 2012 hospital emergency rooms have reported an increase in patients, who are suffering from kratom abuse; some as a result of overusing the drug, while others were complaining of withdrawal symptoms.
What is Kratom Withdrawal Symptoms?
The withdrawal symptoms for Kratom can be similar to those felt with opiate drugs and can include:
- Muscle spasms and pain
- Mood swings, and irritability
In some cases, those who are suffering from Kratom withdrawal symptoms are not aware that they are undergoing withdrawal. As a result, the individual is not aware of Kratom’s physically addictive properties.
Signs of Kratom Abuse and Addiction
- Regular abuse of kratom can produce fatigue and weight loss due to the stimulant effect of smaller doses.
- People who are under the influence of small quantities may be more talkative, have higher energy levels or seem irritable or edgy.
- Those who are taking more massive doses may experience a lack of sensitivity to physical or emotional pain. They may also experience sweating, itching, nausea or vomiting.
- Kratom overdose may display symptoms that include paranoia, delusions, shakiness, and aggression.
- Individuals who are unable sleep for many days at a time may also experience delusions.
- People who become physically dependent will experience cravings for Kratom when they have not had a recent dose. They may also feel nausea, nervousness and other withdrawal symptoms if they have not taken Kratom recently.
Kratom Detox and Addiction Treatment
Waismann Method® Treatment Center has maintained a two-decade reputation as the most successful Rapid Detox and Medical Opiate Detox Center in history. Additionally, we provide a compassionate and supportive setting paired with the most advanced medical detoxification protocols available for Kratom detox and treatment. Also, our exclusive location in California receives and treats patients who arrive from all over the world.
Those who are experiencing painful withdrawal symptoms can get the support that they need to overcome the detoxification phase comfortable and successfully. Additionally, Waismann patients receive:
- Full-Service Accredited Hospital
- Private rooms for comfort, privacy, and individual attention.
- Multiple options for medical detoxification that can be offered based on individuals’ specific needs.
- Quadrupled Board Certified Medical Director with nearly two decades, treating substance abuse with anesthesia assisted detox.
- Exclusive Private Recovery Center for a few days of recuperation, with comprehensive healing services.
Because of its legal nature and easy availability, many do not seek treatment for kratom abuse and addiction until they experience withdrawal. Our treatments are individualized to fit each person’s needs and help them overcome addiction in a supportive and safe environment.